for the People
The Palace App
A transformational, library-centered platform for digital content and services
The Palace Project is a new, non-profit platform that puts libraries at the forefront of the econtent landscape. Palace supports the mission of libraries by providing equitable access to digital knowledge, bolstering the relationship between libraries and patrons, protecting patron privacy, and enabling libraries to serve all their econtent in a single app.
Funded by a $5 million investment from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, The Palace Project is a division of Lyrasis working in strategic partnership with Digital Public Library of America (DPLA).
The library really is a palace. It bestows nobility on people who otherwise couldn’t afford a shred of it.
- Eric Klinenberg, author
"Palaces for the People: How Social Infrastructure Can Help Fight Inequality, Polarization, and the Decline of Civic Life"
The Palace Project is your one-stop digital library solution
- A simple easy-to-use app that delivers content from any provider
- Tools to allow your staff to actively manage and curate the patron experience
- Turnkey hosting service with 24/7 reliable, enterprise class support
- A robust content marketplace that offers flexible lending models from the Big 5 to Amazon Publishing to independent publishers
Why choose Palace?
- Give patrons access to all content, from any provider, in one easy-to-use app
- Show your library’s value with your brand front and center
- Expand your patron base
- Protect patron privacy
- Join the only community supported, library-driven econtent solution
The only not-for-profit, library-centered ebooks marketplace
Palace Marketplace is the only non-profit ebook and audiobook marketplace developed in consultation with libraries, for libraries. We offer ebooks and audiobooks from more than 1,000 publishers, including titles from Amazon Publishing, Hachette, Harper Collins, Macmillan, and Simon and Schuster as well as hundreds of mid-sized and independent publishers. We advocate for libraries with publishers for licensing models that better fit the needs of libraries and offer unique licensing models on much of the content available in the Marketplace.
Build an instant collection of free ebooks
The Palace Project allows libraries to jumpstart their collections with a free collection of more than 11,000 openly licensed titles available in high-quality epub format. The collection includes classics, contemporary fiction, nonfiction, children’s books, and textbooks, all reviewed by the DPLA Curation Corps of volunteer librarians.